Still not yet done with my posts about my trip to Cambodia but I figured I’d post an entry about how we got back to Bangkok, Thailand from Siem Reap.
I received a couple of notifications from readers about how to travel from Siem Reap to Bangkok so I’ll post this one quick as it was also an easy trip.
Still at our hostel (Bousavy Guesthouse), we asked for directions on how to get back to Bangkok. We initially planned on following our original steps on how to get to Siem Reap via train. But when we asked the owner, he offered to arrange a bus trip to Bangkok. We immediately agreed to their offer when we learned how cheap it was to get back.
8 USD – Siem Reap to Bangkok – Travel Time (8-9 hours)
We bought our tickets directly at Bousavy, arranged our pick-up for the bus and just went through with the trip.
back at the Cambodia border
Compared to the Bangkok to Siem Reap trip, we cut down our transportation expenses by almost half! We asked the owner of Bousavy Guesthouse why their bus line only has buses to Bangkok. He said that rules are more complicated from Bangkok to Siem Reap compared to Siem Reap to Bangkok.
lining up at the Cambodia Immigration center
We arranged a tuk tuk pick-up to the bus station and at around 9am, we were already inside the shuttle going to the border. I sat beside a Spanish woman and practiced whatever PR skills I had left.
heading to the check-point in Aranyaprathet, Thailand
Lined up at the immigration centers in Cambodia and Thailand and waited for about 30 minutes for all the passengers who also booked the same tickets to finish.
Staff from the bus agency gathered us in one corner and put stickers on our shirts with numbers so we could board their mini buses according to priority.
From a big bus in Siem Reap, we exchanged to mini buses in Thailand
There were a couple of stops in between but NOT to the point wherein we could sit down and eat a full meal. That’s why it is recommend that you bring some snacks and drinks so you can grab a bite to eat while your travelling inside the bus. Bread and chips and bottled water would suffice.
I sat at the middle part, beside all the passengers’ luggage, inside the mini bus which wasn’t such a hassle since I had more leg room to rest.
bags as seatmates and a backpacker with flags stitched on his bag – reminds me of flipnomad.com and his backpack
From 9am, we arrived in Thailand around 5pm or so. The mini bus reached its final stop a couple of blocks away from Khao San Road, which is considered the mecca for backpackers.
Khao San Road, can’t wait to write about you.
Will still be writing about my stories in Cambodia and I’ll be able to finish all of them soon. Hopefully, this guide from Siem Reap to Bangkok will be helpful to those who’ll travel between these two countries. One tip would be to ask your hostel for info as they may be able to arrange the pick up for your convenience.
Here’s a couple of comprehensive guides about Siem Reap:
- Tips and Things to Know about Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Digital Nomad Life: One Month in Siem Reap, Cambodia
Check out my other adventures here:
- Quick Update from Bousavy Guesthouse in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Siem Reap and Bangkok Chronicles
- Getting There: Cebu to Manila to Clark to Bangkok to Aranyaprathet to Siem Reap
- No Ordinary Train Ride From Bangkok to Aranyaprathet
- Bangkok to Siem Reap: Avoid Scammers from Aranyaprathet to Poipet Border
- Where to Stay: Bousavy Guesthouse in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Where to Stay: Victory Guesthouse in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Cambodia Trip: Angkor Thom Gate, Bayon Temple and Elephant Terrace
- Cambodia Trip: Trees in Ta Prohm Temple, Siem Reap
- Cambodia Trip: Walking Barefoot at Angkor Wat Temple
- Cambodia Trip: Pre Rup, Banteay Srei and East Mebon Temples
- Cambodia Trip: Haggling Prices in Angkor Night Market
- Cambodia Trip: Those Khmer Kids Selling Merchandise
- Cambodia Trip: Chill Out and Relax at Pub Street in Siem Reap
- Cambodia Trip: Insightful Conversations Over a Fish Massage
- Cambodia Trip: Land Mine Victims
- Cambodia Trip: A Guide to Eating Cheap Khmer Food in Siem Reap
- Cambodia Trip: Engrish and Random Sights in Siem Reap
- Cambodia Trip: Shuttle Bus from Siem Reap to Bangkok, Thailand
- Total Budget Expense in Siem Reap, Cambodia